Tuesday, January 31, 2006

More Background on The Nor'wester, from current owner

got a packet in the mail on Saturday from a friend who is looking after her while I'm here in PA.  There are all sorts of documents aboard that I had asked to be copied and sent to me so that I could pass them on to John Booras for the research project.  One is a layout of Nor'wester after her renovation in the 50's.  Below decks she is exactly the same as she was built with the exception of the bath tub.  For the life of me I can't figure out how that would have fit in the space described in the launching article unless it was one of those smallish copper sheet sit up types. 

 

On deck, it appears that there was originally one large cabin window forward of the door into the main salon.  Now there are three, the most forward 2 of which are actually in the enlarged wheel house just aft of an additional door.  Anyway, you can check it out when the pics appear (one way or another).

 

The Bulwarks are also an addition from the time if the wheel house addition.  I understand from the man who ran her for Orange Coast College that the bulwarks were added in Mexico and that they did not use marine grade plywood.  My own observation is that it is of a rather poor design in that there was no cap rail added to protect the top edge of the plywood.  As a result, a good deal of water has crept in and rotted the wood.  I've removed paint, epoxied and fared and repainted the worst spots.  Some had to be patched.  Anyway, all she needs now is some sanding and a fresh coat of paint.  Many coats and colors are evident and she really needs to be wooded and start over.  Too many coats creates cracks and water seepage. 

 

Gotta run for now.  I'll get to exploring flickr later this evening. 

 

Thanks again to both of you for your warm welcome.

 

King

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home