Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Background on the Nor'wester from Owner

From: Norwester Skipper [mailto:norwestercharter@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 12:46 PM
To: John Reid
Subject: [Reid Family Chatter] 1/28/2006 09:44:23 AM

 

Dear Reid Family,

My name is King Graver and I'm the very proud current owner of the Nor'wester. The description given on the Maplebay site hardly does her justice. Over the years, most of the owners have paid a great deal of attention to maintaining her interior and it is truly a magnificent, warm and inviting place to be. Her joinery is a lasting tribute to the artists who built her. Her structure however, planks and frames, have had some work and will need more as time goes on. My first priority was to make her safe and seaworthy both structurally and mechanically. This has now been done.

I have some great pictures of her as she is at present as well as a shot of her in 1955 just before the renovations were made by John Wayne. It's true that he had the salon and wheelhouse roof raised about 10" to accomodate is height.

From the pictures in this blog, it appears that a new and smaller mast was stepped at the time of the renovations. Current mast is aft of the original at a location that appears to be about where the original wheelhouse was. Doors and windows to the original salon are still in place.

One of my goals is to create as accurate and complete history of the Chiro as possible. She will be in charter service (among other things)in the Seattle area beginning this summer and it would be wonderful to have a history aboard. I've got the Captains log book from 1941 through 1959 showing not only John Wayne's presence aboard but many other celebs including Ray Malland, Ward Bond, and Orsen Wells to name a few.

One of Nor'westers missions through the nonprofit educational foundation I've formed will be to bring an awareness of and appreciation for the extraordinary craftsmanship of the shipwright.

In talking with John Booris, I've mentioned that 2007 will be the 75th anniversery of her launch. While some additional work needs to be completed on some of her frames in order to make the trip possible, I think it would be wonderful if she could be a presence in her home town for an opening of the Reid Shipyard Historical Building. All it would take is time and fuel.

It would be somewhat of a marker in my life as well as one of my ancestors was the Secretary to Gov Winthrop, coming over to Mass from England in 1610.

One final thing. I am really searching for information about the designer of the Chiro, Frank Munro (I've actually seen a couple different spellings). Any leads you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.

I applaud the efforts you are all taking to help fillout the history of the extraordinary work of the shipwright. Watching these artists at work is truely an honor.

I again apologize for intruding into your family space. If you feel it to be inappropriate, please let me know. I'm new to the blog scene. If anyone would like to contact me I'm at norwestercharter@aol.com.

Warnest Regards to all of you.

--
Posted by Norwester Skipper to Reid Family Chatter at 1/28/2006 09:44:23 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home